Assistance available to support community searches.
The Snowbird Fund directly supports Native families in Montana conducting community searches in urban and reservation areas by providing direct assistance to individuals leading the search for their missing loved ones.
Direct payments of $1,000 will be made to individuals to help provide the resources required to conduct a thorough community search such as:
- Gas money, meals, and hotel stays as they search across the state
- Cell phone payments
- Tools, like metal detectors and drones
- Conducting a targeted awareness campaign
- Hosting a community vigil
For funding needs greater than $1,000, please email Elisa or call (406) 443-8313 with details about the amount and need.
- Assistance is available year-round.
- After approval of the application, it could take up 5 business days before you receive your funds.
- Applicants can reapply for a Snowbird Fund grant after 6 months from the initial/prior request.
General Application Guidelines
- Complete the application online using the MCF portal. You will need to enter access code "snowbird" when applying.
- Individuals actively leading a search for a missing loved one in Montana are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must submit a W-9 Form or provide their legal name, mailing address, and social security number. This is strictly for MCF's audit compliance and will be kept confidential.
- Applicants must provide a copy of the Missing Persons Report and/or a link to the Missing Persons Clearinghouse page.
- Decisions and payments for approved requests will be made within 1-2 weeks of receiving the request.
Ready to apply? You will need to enter access code snowbird when completing application.
More about the Fund
The Missing and Murdered Indigenous People (MMIP) epidemic, which has been a problem for decades, continues to spread across Native communities, including those in Montana. The Snowbird Fund was established at MCF by Montana businesswoman, Whitney Williams, as an effective and tangible way to support Native communities in Montana and families searching for their missing loved ones.
Interested in donating to the fund?
You can donate online or mail checks to PO Box 1145, Helena, MT 59624. Please mark FBO Snowbird Fund.
We're Here to Help
For additional help, questions or comments, contact Elisa Fiaschetti, Program Director.